Top 5 Taco Shops in San Diego
Did you know that San Diego is famous for more than its fantastic weather and wide sandy beaches? Most people have heard about the beaches that go on for miles and the sunny warm weather that make them so enjoyable. But did you know that there is something else San Diego has going on ? Tacos! Yep thats right, the tacos in San Diego are considered by some to be the best you can get outside of Mexico, and some would even say better. If your up to the challenge, here is my top 5 list of taco shops here in San Diego County,
- Las Cuatro Milpas – Open since 1933, this authentic taco shop is located next to the 5 freeway in the Barrio Logan neighborhood of San Diego. With lines that frequently wind down the street, this no frills taco shop makes up for the lack of ambiance with its fantastic food. With the smell of homemade tortillas and carnitas wafting through the air, it is can be easy to forget where you are, and if you close your eyes you could swear you were in Mexico. 1857 Logan Avenue, San Diego, CA 92113 ( 619-234-4460 ).
- El Napolito – Tucked away in a run down strip mall, behind a gas station this well known shop boasts some of the best tacos in North County San Diego .Their homemade tortillas, chips and mind blowing roasted red pepper salsa are just part of what makes their traditional Mexican tacos so good. Fish, beef, pork, chicken they have it all. On the off chance you want to bring some chips and salsa home with you, there is a full service mercado, or market, adjacent to the restaurant that stocks all their homemade goodies and more. 582 Santa Fe Dr, Encinitas, CA 92024 ( 760 436 9206 )
- Mariscos German – Ok so here is a bit of a twist, this next stop is a taco truck. Mariscos German, is known to have some of the best most authentic fish tacos around. No unneeded ingredients here just the crispy tortilla, deep fried fish, crema, lime juice and pico de gallo . Pure heaven, this is a must try. Since this is a truck, the location can change so you might have to a bit a detective work, but it is all worth it in the end!! 2966 S Santa Fe Ave, San Marcos, California 92069 ( 619 495-6543 )
- Bahia Don Bravo – Situated in the upscale enclave of Bird Rock in La Jolla. This unassuming spot has some of tastiest taco from here to the boarder. This spot specializes in the fish taco but still has all of the traditional staples we have come to love. Make this spot a priority on your list of best taco shops! 5504 La Jolla Blvd La Jolla CA 92037 ( 858 454-8940 )
- Juanitas Taco Shop- Last on our list is another North County favorite. This shop located on the busy coast highway is the kind of spot perfect to grab an authentic bite. Real south of the boarder flavor combined with an ambiance one would only find in Mexico, this taco shop is the perfect stop after a day of catching waves! 290 N Coast Hwy 101, Encinitas, CA 92024 ( 760 943 9612 )On your next trip to San Diego make sure and stop at one if not all of these shops and let me know what you think. Every day is taco Tuesday in San Diego !
Back to Blog